New property owners often rely on their title company, real estate agent or the representative to properly record and assess their property. The final responsibility is still yours, as the new owner, to see that all the necessary steps have been completed. The steps are:
- Record your deed in the Probate office.
- Assess the property in the Revenue Commissioners office.
- Claim any exemption due you.
- Make sure all of this is done no later than December 31 for all property purchased on or before October 1, in order to receive a bill in your name for next year.
- If your mortgage company has agreed to pay your property taxes, a copy of the assessment sheet should be mailed to the company as soon as it is received. This will give them complete information to request a bill for your property.
- Report all address changes promptly to the Revenue Commissioners office.